The thought of furniture construction doesn’t sound very cool or fun. Trust me, I know! Talking about different kinds of fill and upholstery doesn’t spark interest for most people, but let me tell you why you should care about it!
It’s pretty much exactly what it sounds like… Furniture construction is the way furniture is built, more specifically, the materials used. Pretend you can see the piece of furniture through an X-ray, the frame of the furniture is the skeleton. Thinking about what goes into making a piece of furniture is vital to the quality and comfort of each piece.
Knowing what furniture construction is tells you nothing if you don’t know what the various terms mean to you.
- Kiln-Dried Hardwood Frame: Remember the X-ray we were talking about? If you looked at some of Wallaroo’s best-selling products such as the Vincent, the Bailee, the Atlas, the Cracken, and many more through an X-ray you’d see that they’re made with kiln-dried hardwood frames. Kiln-dried wood is best for furniture construction because there is less moisture in the wood, which provides for stronger, better looking furniture.
- High-Density Foam Cushions: When testing out sofas for comfort, a high-density foam cushion will give you the support you need in a sofa seat, while still achieving that comfy and soft feel we all want! Lower density cushions will be too soft and won’t keep their shape in the long run, and too-dense cushions will be hard and uncomfortable. We use high-density foam in the majority of our products here at Wallaroo’s. Check out the Aruba, the Barbados, or the Raleigh!
- Down-wrapped Foam: We use down wrapped foam in our Bliss cushions to give that soft and squishy feel that the Bliss is famous for while still holding its shape and giving you support from the foam in the middle.
- Performance Fabric: Performance fabric is designed to be spill and stain resistant. Our white Bliss modular sectional is made with Performance fabric and you can see the spills bead up and roll off with ease!
- Steel Frames: Most of our reclining furniture is made with steel frames. This is fairly self-explanatory and the stronger the metal, the better built a frame is for reclining furniture.
- Top-Grain Leather: Top-Grain Leather is real leather that has had the top layer buffed to make it soft and comfortable rather than stiff and hard. With top-grain leather upholstery you get that gorgeous lived-in look as the leather wears, but it will stay in beautiful condition and last you for years to come. Cheaper leathers or fake leather often peel, scuff and scratch easily, but top grain leather won’t do that! Check out the Leather Bliss, or the Leather Bailee
Of course, there are many more vocabulary terms that we could go over, but these are some of the primary features you’ll find in most of Wallaroo’s Products.
Wallaroo’s strives to offer furniture for everybody. That means we design a variety of styles at all different spruce points. Lower priced furniture means that there’s mainly a difference in the construction. While higher priced furniture may be made with high-grade materials, lower priced furniture is made with more affordable materials. It certainly doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong or bad about that, the value is certainly there! If you’re looking for amazing furniture for a great value, check out the Brooklyn or the Bellevue.